BRSP’s goal in health sector is “To contribute in poverty reduction by improving the access and quality of health services in Balochistan”.
BRSP’s approach around health interventions focuses on three major components:
- Increasing the access to quality health services,
- Improving the governance and management of the health sector,
- Enhancing demand for quality health services by creating awareness among communities.
The focus is to improve the health status of marginalized and disadvantaged communities by increasing the demand for health services through social mobilization, improving the infrastructure of health facilities, capacity building of the health personnel, improving the governance at district level, policy advocacy for health, prioritization in planning at provincial level and provision of equipment’s and other missing facilities.
Major components under Health components are Primary Health Care, B-EmOC services, C-EmOC services, addressing the Reproductive Health issues, Nutrition, Polio eradication, Disabilities, Malaria control interventions and organizing Mobile Service Units in far-flung and mountainous areas of Balochistan.
The achievements of BRSP in the health sector in prioritized areas are given as under::
1). Increased access to quality health services:
- A total of 717 health facilities strengthened through provision of medicines and health, furniture, microscopes, Anesthesia Machines, disposable delivery and hygiene kits and establishment of Labor room etc.
- Distributed 1,199,900 Long Lasting Insecticidal Nets (LLIN) in high endemic malaria districts
- Awareness raising sessions were held with participation of 735,737 individuals regarding malaria prevention, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis and Nutrition through BCC activities
- More than 1 million persons have been treated through 308 Mobile service Units in far flung areas of Balochistan
- 648,919 individuals were treated at health facilities
- 15,562 children and lactating & pregnant women have been screened and treated for malnutrition
- 1,532 Severely and moderately malnourished children have been diagnosed and treated
2). Improved governance & management in health sector:
- 81 Health Care Providers, 714 TBAs, 252 CHEs and 340 LHWs have benefited from various capacity building events organized by BRSP on primary health care, antenatal, post natal, neonatal, health and hygiene.
- 1315 technical health staff have been capacitated on microscopy for diagnosis of malaria
- 1315 health personnel have been trained on MIS reporting and surveillance, uncomplicated malaria case management following the treatment chart of WHO for malaria cases
3). Enhanced demand for health services & Advocacy:
- 13,982 CO members have been sensitized through 624 sessions on health services
- 148,477 youth and adolescents have been engaged through 1049 infotainment activities
- 16,089 community members were sensitized through 379 Health and hygiene sessions
- 1,103 clients were facilitated through 65 counseling sessions on RH and health issues
- 27,000 married couples were sensitised through 14,000 RH and issue focused counseling sessions