BRSP Water Programme (Balochistan) funded by the Government of Federal Republic of Germany through KFW development Bank, Germany. The Project is overall objective is to improve the health status of the target population of Quetta, Pishin and Qilla Saifullah Districts in Balochistan, Pakistan, through community-led water and sanitation service delivery. This is being achieved through provision of sustainable Water and sanitation facilities using appropriate technology options and effective and efficient management systems. The Project aims to rehabilitate/ nonfunctional and damaged water and sanitation services, augment the services stretched due to increased population or reduced sources and, improve the human and institutional capacity needed to manage, operate, and maintain such social services.
The overall objective of the project is to improve the health status of the target population of Quetta, Pishin and Qilla Saifullah Districts in Balochistan, Pakistan, through citizen-led water and sanitation service delivery. The specific objective of the project is to support the sustainable increase in access to improved water, improved sanitation, and enhanced awareness of sustainable use of water resources and hygiene practices. This is achieved through the rehabilitation and restoration of the non-functional, damaged and inadequate drinking water and sanitation infrastructure using appropriate technology and at the same time, re-establishes the human and institutional capacity needed to manage, operate, and maintain such infrastructure through participatory approaches involving target user communities and line department as service provider.
Our Contributions through KFW project
- Under the flood emergency response the project has completed 54 Water Supply Schemes rehabilitated in 12 flood affected districts of Balochistan benefiting more than 250,000 people. Districts include Bolan, Kohlu, Barkhan, Jaffarabad, Naseerabad, JhalMagsi, Sibi and Quetta Zhob, Sherani, Musakhail and Killa Saifullah
- Total number of 21 water supply schemes have been completed under Phase-I
- Under Phase II,14 WSShave been completed by June 2013
- Sanitation work at Killi Rahim Gul Balleli, Quetta is in progress under Phase-II, in order to build a model village. 75% of physical work has been completed by end of June, 2013
- 05 sub projects have been initiated under Phase-III
- Strengthened WATSAN facilities along with renovation works in 43 Government Primary, Middle and High schools
- Formation of 11 water management committees in District Quetta and 1 water management committeein District Pishin
- Maintained workable coordination among BRSP, Government line government, policy makers and elected representatives to ensure availability of requisite support, resources and efforts essential for the successful implementation of the project
- Though the responsibility of O&M of WSS lies with PHED, however, keeping in view burden on exchequer that is already confronting resource deficit to provide potable water and sanitation services to the populace of Balochistan, BRSP has successfully put in-place a mechanism for connection fee and tariff collection to ensure the viability and smooth functioning of these sub-projects, and this mechanism made operative even before functionalizing the WSSs
- As of end of June, 2013 , an amount of Rs. 4.305 million has been collected on account of connection fee and water